Thursday, August 21, 2008

Boeing (BA)To Start Talk with Union

Boeing (BA) will begin negotiations with its union machinists in order to avoid a potential strike as it hopes to make inroads against mounting pension and health-insurance costs, reported The Wall Street Journal. The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers will seek improved policy on health care, pensions and job security.


Last I checked, the machinists are making around $21 on average and nearing retirement within a decade. More pay probably isn't as important as job security.

Last time there were major talks with the union was after 9/11 where they made large concession. Now they are again negotiating in a tough economy- I guess these guys have no luck at all. I think that completing deliveries is to important for BA not to make concession. I am also a believer in happier employees being more productive, so I expect the extra costs to be made up along the chain.

No comments: